The second largest city in Mississippi, Gulfport is an important transportation and business hub for the Mississippi Gulf Coast and the entire state.
Gulfport was founded in 1887 by Captains W.H. Hardy and Joseph T. Jones, who believed that with its temperate climate and natural harbor, it had the potential to be a great seaport. With the hard work of Gulfport’s citizens, that dream succeeded beyond the founders’ wildest imaginations.
With the Mississippi State Port Authority at Gulfport, the Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport, the Bernard Bayou Industrial District and nationally recognized banking, Gulfport has become a strategic center for business and commercial activity.
In addition, Gulfport is home to several colleges, numerous retail centers and a casino resort. Three military bases are located in Gulfport – the Naval Construction Battalion Center, the Trent Lott Readiness Training Center at the Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport and the U.S. Coast Guard Station.
For more information, visit the City of Gulfport at www.gulfport-ms.gov